Re: Large-scale java policy violations

> A different story is the naming of JARs inside the package. It might make
> sense to include the version there, so instead of
> /usr/share/java/xerces.jar I could use /usr/share/java/xerces-1.4.1.jar
> and create a symlink or using alternatives. But then some suggestions
> like automatically including all jars in /usr/share/java to the default
> classpath cause duplicate and conflicting classes.

So if we have this proposal of "standard" and "optional" jars (only
standard jars are included automatically on the classpath) then you have a
symlink (also managed by alternatives or however):

/standard/jar/dir/xerces.jar -> /optional/jar/dir/xerces-1.4.1.jar

In fact I would go so far as to suggest:

- *All* jars be placed in the optional jar directory, this being
/usr/share/java as it is now.

- Standard jars that should be automatically included in the classpath
must be symlinks from /usr/share/java/auto (or whatever we call the
standard jar directory it) into /usr/share/java.

Yes?  No?

Ben.