Re: RFC: JVM Registry

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 06:18:19PM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> The problem I was talking about was that some packages can
> provide and depend on specific jar packages, and maybe with
> a specific version of that package.
>
> So why not just "Provides: foo.jar, bar.jar" and then depend on the
> jar files. What do you think about that? Yes we will have a lot of
> "virtual packages" but this will also solve some issues.

I haven't thought much about this, but it sounds like you are headed
to a "file dependencies" system.  File dependencies are often
criticised as making RPM-based systems less robust than Debian.  I
tend to agree, though I'm not currently in a position to argue it.
I'm sure you can find references on the Web.

Andrew