Re: java packaging questions

On Monday 25 June 2001 15:53, Mark Johnson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I package some of the DocBook XML stuff and want to package some java
> xslt processing tools as well, but I'm not too clear on a few policy
> points. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. Here goes:
>
> 1. Package naming, libraries vs. programs, etc.
>
>    But saxon can be viewed as either a library or a program (if
>    wrapper scripts are included.) Although I did follow the naming
>    policy for libraries, many other packages do not. Is lib-saxon-java
>    an appropriate name?

I think it is. Java 'binaries' must also contain a executable in /usr/bin.
You might want to put this in a package called saxon-java which depends
on lib-saxon-java...

>    Furthermore, since I'd like to make it easy for users to do XML
>    processing (esp DocBook), I'd like to package some type of
>    wrappers. Should I do this separately?  Or should I simply provide
>    example scripts with lib-saxon-java for use with gcj and
>    /usr/bin/java - type executables?

see above: new package with out of the box working executable...

>    I have similar questions for other packages I'd like to upload. The
>    arbortext catalog classes (and related extensions) that provide
>    catalog support for saxon and XT are an example. I could package
>    the base classes as "lib-arbortext-java", the saxon extensions as
>    "lib-saxcat-java" and make two more packages "xt-catalog" and
>    "saxon-catalog" that provide wrapper scripts. Would such a
>    combination be appropriate?

That sounds reasonable...

> 2. Package building: Is it necessary to recompile upstream jar files?
>
>      I hope not. :-)

Yes, i believe it is...

> 3. Dependencies: The java-common policy states
>
>      "Both [libraries and programs] must depend on
>       java-virtual-machine."
>
>    But many current java packages do not have this
>    dependency. Suggestions?

issue i bug report?

BTW, what is the status of the Java policy? Does the Debian policy state
that Java software must fullfil Java policy? Or is it just work in progres?

Egon