Re: org/w3c/dom duplicates in lib-dom-java and lib-openxml-java,libxerces-java!

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 10:28:20AM +0200, Egon Willighagen wrote:

> In other words, the org.w3c.dom classes are given in three packages...
> They probably have some version differences, but it seem not correct that
> this redundancy is available...

They do indeed implement different DOM versions: OpenXML uses DOM level 1,
Xerces implemnets level 1 and level 2 so it should be a superset.

DOM (and SAX) are interfaces that need some implementing classes and
each implementation is different from the others. It should be possible
to separate the common interface classes from the implementation classes
but it does not make a lot of sense to me. Each XML parser should contain
all required classes in its JAR so we don't need two JARs in the classpath
just to use the parser.

> More practical, when doing dh_java, it is not possible to determine which
> packages it relies on...

Even if you put the interface classes in another JAR and Debian package, you
can't depend on ot because you still need implementation classes.

--
Stefan Gybas