Re: org/w3c/dom duplicates in lib-dom-java and lib-openxml-java,libxerces-java!

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 10:42, Stefan Gybas wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 10:28:20AM +0200, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> > In other words, the org.w3c.dom classes are given in three packages...
> > They probably have some version differences, but it seem not correct that
> > this redundancy is available...
>
> They do indeed implement different DOM versions: OpenXML uses DOM level 1,
> Xerces implemnets level 1 and level 2 so it should be a superset.

But if they are different implementations they should not use the
same namespace... (see below)

> DOM (and SAX) are interfaces that need some implementing classes and
> each implementation is different from the others. It should be possible
> to separate the common interface classes from the implementation classes
> but it does not make a lot of sense to me. Each XML parser should contain
> all required classes in its JAR so we don't need two JARs in the classpath
> just to use the parser.
>
> > More practical, when doing dh_java, it is not possible to determine which
> > packages it relies on...
>
> Even if you put the interface classes in another JAR and Debian package,
> you can't depend on ot because you still need implementation classes.

It was not my intention to seperate interface from implementation, but it is
not correct that two implementations use the same namespace... This violates
the "hierarchical package naming" mentioned in the Java Policy, though in
principle the Policy only requires classes in the "repository" to apply to
it. I hereby propose this to be added to the Java Policy that *jar's also must
comply with the "hierarchical package naming" scheme...
(Anyone know where it is btw...? the Policy does not state a URL)

Egon