Re: Quitting debian-java

"Cris J. Holdorph" wrote:

> I have no trouble running Java on my Debian system.  I download the jdk
> from Sun, throw it in /usr/local and run.  BTW, I do the same for Apache
> and several other programs too.  I appreciate Debian for the overall
> OS and environment, but even if I was using Windows, RedHat, or even
> Solaris!  I would still download Apache, JServ, the jdk, and other things
> and install them myself.  Maybe a JVM in the debian package system with
> dependencies and java other programs and all that is a nice goal (and the
> reason why I stay on this list), but I would object to any stating it's
> not possible to develop Java on Linux (even Debian Linux) today.

Having developed a 100K+ line/500 class Java app under Debian for
several years now (3+) I would have to say it's not only possible, but
actually fairly easy.

snarf http://www.ibmORsunORblackdown.comORorg/somejava.tar.gz
cd /usr/local/
tar xzf ~/somejava.tar.gz
cd /usr/local/bin/
ln -s /usr/local/jdk/bin/* .

Works pretty much as listed for blackdown, sun, and IBM JVMs of almost
any version. Currently I use IBM's 1.3.

So, running and developing Java stuff using the JDK under Debian is,
IMHO, actually easier than any windows platform. IDEs etc. complicate
the issue of course.

The areas where there are difficulties have more to do with _deploying_
Java and Java apps under debian than with _running_ them. Areas of
concern:
1) how to package Java apps
2) how to make sure there is a JVM that will run them (dependencies
etc.)
3) licensing problems

None of these are trivial, especially #3, and as far as I can tell
Stephane's work and the proposed Java policy were intended to solve many
of them. Unfortunately I have not been much help since I (unhappily)
deploy all of my commercial systems to windows boxen; believe you me
this has been much more of a headache than getting nice executable
wrappers going under a Unix system.

It seems that much of the problems hinge on non-freeness of Java2. This
saddens me as well; I love Java but Sun has not been very nice on this
point. They have their reasons. I'm just happy I'm able to develop on a
decent, free platform and then deploy to what my customers demand, all
the while being able to whisper "you know, you could run linux on that
server instead" to their IT departments.

The biggest tragedy, though, is the limitations this puts on deploying
Java apps for linux and Debian. Having worked with Java2, I would have a
hard time going back to 1.1.x.