Re: building java packages

> > I have started building some java .debs and immediately run into some
> > problems:
> >
> > 1. what do I depend on to have a 'javac' installed ?
>
> java-compiler
> (currently:
> jdk1.1-dev 1.1.8v1-3
> ibm-jdk1.1-installer 1.1.8-3
> jikes 1.10-6
> java-compiler-dummy 0.2
> guavac 1.2-2
> gcj 1:2.95.2-20)

assuming jdk1.1-dev is the ibm jdk:

a) are we allowed to distribute this?
b) it's not free

If I choose to use jikes, I need some class libraries installed. I'm
thinking of packaging classpath-0.01.

> > 2. when I want to compile something with a line like:
> > 	javac -classpath /some/dir:/some/other/dir some_java_files
> >
> > this won't work because the classpath also needs to include the class
> > libraries. These will change depending on what VM is installed, so how do
> > I know where they are?
>
> I think there is a funny syntax for this; maybe:
>
> javac -classpath :/some/dir

Looking at the jikes package, it doesn't seem to do this. As far as I can
tell, there is no wrapper script, jikes itself is in usr/bin

> (leading colon)  But I'm not sure.  I've never actually seen it work.
>
> > 3. similarly, what do I depend on for a 'jar' tool? I'm thinking that
> > fastjar may be best?
>
> I don't think there is a virtual package for this; the JDKs tend to supply jar.
> Since you'll need a VM installed anyway, you can just depend on that, and if
> another jar is installed (via alternatives), it will be used automatically.

but will it work? I don't want to depend on a non-free jdk when there is a
free tool which will work.

John Leuner