Re: building java packages

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 04:02:12PM +0000, John Leuner wrote:

> I have started building some java .debs and immediately run into some
> problems:
>
> 1. what do I depend on to have a 'javac' installed ?

java-compiler
(currently:
jdk1.1-dev 1.1.8v1-3
ibm-jdk1.1-installer 1.1.8-3
jikes 1.10-6
java-compiler-dummy 0.2
guavac 1.2-2
gcj 1:2.95.2-20)

> 2. when I want to compile something with a line like:
> 	javac -classpath /some/dir:/some/other/dir some_java_files
>
> this won't work because the classpath also needs to include the class
> libraries. These will change depending on what VM is installed, so how do
> I know where they are?

I think there is a funny syntax for this; maybe:

javac -classpath :/some/dir

(leading colon)  But I'm not sure.  I've never actually seen it work.

> 3. similarly, what do I depend on for a 'jar' tool? I'm thinking that
> fastjar may be best?

I don't think there is a virtual package for this; the JDKs tend to supply jar.
Since you'll need a VM installed anyway, you can just depend on that, and if
another jar is installed (via alternatives), it will be used automatically.

--
 - mdz