Re: packaging jars vs. classes

> Our Java 2 packages use a extension directory /usr/lib/j2re1.3/ext (and
> /usr/lib/j2re1.3/$(ARCH)/lib).  The packages for Java3D, JAI and JMF
> install into those directories.
>
> Additionally we add /usr/share/java/repository to CLASSPATH but in
> general I would prefer a strictly extension directory based approach.
> It would be quite easy to add a support for a second extension
> directory.

Well, it kinda sounds like what you're suggesting is a JVM-specific set of
class/jar directories (ostensibly in /usr/lib/jdk1.2 or whatever directory
the actual JVM is installed at) as well as a generic set located somewhere
like /usr/share/java. I like this idea, since all of the jars I'm currently
using work with all of the JVM's I'm currently using... so the generic
directory would be right up my alley, but the JVM-specific ones would be
there just in case.

Another thing that you could do is to make things resemble how Debian
organizes it's rc scripts, with all of the scripts REALLY residing in
/etc/init.d while there are symlinks to specific combinations of them in
/etc/rc?.d. Likewise, you could put all jar files in a generic directory and
then put symlinks to them in the various "lib" directories of the individual
JVM's.

Just some ideas....

- Joe