Re: How to install jdk 1.3

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 11:46:01AM +0300, Alan KF LAU wrote:
> Please bear with me with this simple question which shouldn't be raised in an expert mailing list. I'd appreciate if you'd give me just a pointer.
>
> I have successfully installed jdk1.1, ibmjdk1.1.8. simply because they've .deb file. Recently I'm asked to upgrade to jdk1.3.
>
> How may I install the jdk1.3 in Debian without deb packages? Is there any symbolic links and library I should place in right place so that dependencies like cocoon, tomcat and gnujsp, etc. could recognize it by default?

Starting today, I would install from the blackdown debs available at
www.blackdown.org. But I already installed my system a little
differently. First, I installed Sun's 1.3 jdk. Then I installed
java-compiler-dummy and java-virtual-machine-dummy from the
debs. Finally, I set the symlinks in /etc/alternatives to point to
/usr/local/jdk1.3/bin/java and /usr/local/jdk1.3/bin/javac as
appropriate.