JSP error on simple page.

I have been running apache for a while now. Today I installed gnujsp, jserv,
kaffe, jikes, and ??? (any other default dependency selection for gnujsp).
All of this was installed from woody (unstable) using dselect.

I did not play with the gnujsp configuration at all. When browsing the below
file, called /var/www/index.jsp, with Internet Explorer:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
   <TITLE>Test</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BR>
<H1>Test JSP page</H1>
<BR>
<P>This is a date test: <%= new java.util.Date() %>. </P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

I get the following error in the browser:

Error compiling source file: file:/var/www/index.jsp

sun/tools/javac/Main

Any ideas on why this is occurring? It seems to me that I might be missing a
Java jar file, but shouldn't that have been installed by the dselect?

I would be happy to RTFM if you could point me to the manual that would
cover this error.

I have checked out the debian.org mail list archives. I did not seen
anything relevant.

Thanks in advance for any info,
Jim Brennan