Re: Please help: JServ logging not solved yet

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Tom Tromey wrote:

> So write a PrintStream subclass which calls log(), create it at
> startup from a place where log() is visible, and call System.setOut
> and System.setErr with it as the argument.

Thanks for the hint.  I tried

import java.io.*;

import javax.servlet.*;

public class LogWriter extends PrintStream
{
  public static void SetLog(GenericServlet gs) {
    System.setErr(gs.log);
  }
}

May be you immediately see the problem why the compiler fails but I'm
not experienced enough tocope with the following error message:

CLASSPATH=".:/usr/lib/jdk1.1/lib/classes.zip:/usr/share/java/ApacheJServ.jar:/usr/share/java/servlet-2.0.jar" jikes -g LogWriter.java

Found 3 semantic errors compiling "LogWriter.java":

     5. public class LogWriter extends PrintStream
                     <--------------------------->
*** Error: No match was found for constructor "PrintStream()".

     8.     System.setOut(gs.log());
                          <------>
*** Error: No match was found for method "log()".

     9.     System.setErr(gs.log);
                          <---->
*** Error: No field named "log" was found in type "javax/servlet/GenericServlet".

May be such not Debian related questions are OT here but I was ignored in a
Java related newsgroup.  Any suggestions for a Java mailing list which
is a better target for such kind of questions?

Kind regards

       Andreas.