Re: JFORK: Or a reasonable response to the Sun SCSL

> Java is being taught in many schools, mine included, as the default
>
> Some very nice points, but I doubt the hurd will be able to serve as the
> magic bullet.
>
> comments?

Java the language (sans all the added classes) might well be
implemented using a different VM. The school does not care
whether it is a JVM using 8bit bytecode, or some entirely
different VM using expanding opcodes or 16bit bytecode or...

Java the language can also be compiled to native code.

Your point seems depressingly correct though with respect to
all the additional APIs that might be used in schools and
colleges (I can see it already - realtime graphics with
Java3D - depressing indeed).

> > "free" software ceases to exist. If Linas Torvalds decided that the next
> > kernel version of Linux was not to be GPL software, he has the right to
> > do it.

It is Linus, and this is bollocks. Linus can place all his
personally written code under a different license at any time,
he can't do that for code written by others. One effect
of the GPL/LGPL license is that contributions from others
infect your work, taking away your freedom to change the
licensing for the whole.

This was exemplified when Mesa switched from LGPL to BSD
to accomodate XFree86 requirements. Brian Paul needed
permission from every contributor.

> > Does that shock you?

Quite frankly, it does.

                                              b.