Re: kaffe orphaned?

First of all, I would like to apologize for stepping on your toes.  It was
rude of me to not communicate with you before providing an NMU, and I will
try to be more considerate in the future.

However, and please do not take this as an attack upon you personally, the
reason I felt that an NMU was necessary was that kaffe was, at that time,
completely unusable.  You may feel that the interim snapshots of kaffe were
not satisfactorily stable, nevertheless, an important bug had been filed
against the existing kaffe package, and was by this time several months old,
advising of an immediate core dump when programs were linked to the kaffe
jvm.  I confirmed this behavior, both with the existing package and by
rebuilding it on my system.  This made it impossible for me to even verify
that jikes still worked with kaffe's jvm, which would in turn make jikes
dependent on jdk and consequently require me to move jikes from main into
contrib.

So you see, there were important reasons why this problem needed to be
resolved, not at some future date when some ideal stability was reached, but
as quickly as possible.  I determined that the interim snapshot sufficed for
this purpose, and hoped that my NMU would prompt you into taking action to
release a stabler kaffe as soon thereafter as you could.

Finally, if my naming convention for the kaffe NMU caused you grief, that
was certainly not my intention either.  I do sincerely apologize for any
difficulty this has caused you.  And I am sincere in my willingness to adopt
kaffe if you decide you do not want to maintain it, not for personal
aggrandizement, but in order to ensure that Debian always has a working free
implementation of Java.