Re: A bug against kaffe fror Java programs which fail?

On Monday 6 September 1999, at 20 h 58, the keyboard of "Ean R . Schuessler"
<ean@novare.net> wrote:

> If you can isolate those bugs in a useful way.

Hmmm, I disagree, on the basis of the Social Contract. It says 'We won't hide
problems'. It means, IMHO, that we should report bugs, even not completely
studied and isolated. Otherwise, people could get the false impression that
kaffe is a ready solution for Java, while it isn't (yet?). We should not do
marketing of free software that way. The BTS is a quality evaluation tool, as
well.

But, of course, as a maintainer, I perfectly understand that your prefer bug
reports with a small, self-contained, test case, allowing for easier studying
and testing.

> them, however, I would prefer that any bug you report is accompanied by a
> patch trying to fix the problem.

No. IMHO, this is not a reasonable request. Asking for a detailed bug report,
ideally with a test case, is a good idea, as far as it is possible. Asking for
a patch would allow us to close 95 % of our bug reports right now!