Re: Status of Free Java Environment?

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 04:39:57PM -0800, Per Bothner wrote:
> [...Some very nice stuff about gcj. I should really check that out now...]

> Note there are at least three implementations of the standard Java
> classes:  Kaffe, classpath, and libgcj.  This means some unfortunate
> duplicate work.  One problem is different licenses.  That does not
> preclude someone donating the same or similar code to all of them,
> but it does preclude whole-sale merging.

I thought that both Classpath and libgjc were distributed under the LGPL
and that Cygnus normally assigns copyright back to to FSF when working
on GCC. Why isn't that the case now? Why haven't Classpath and libgcj merged?
(The classlibrary of Kaffe is another story since that is distributed under
the GPL and is not very well documented.)

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. I saw a posting of you on Slashdot in which you said that there was only
one (O'Reilly?) book on Swing (spec) details. Which book is that?