Re: Status of Free Java Environment?

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 10:11:56AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the big picture of the current status of a completely
> DFSG-Free Java environment?  Do we have tools that work on non-i386
> platforms?  Do we have tools that work with Java 1.2?  With JFC/Swing?
> What DFSG-free tools are there that we have for:

>  * Java compiler (.java to .class)
There is the Kopi Java Compiler <http://www.dms.at/kopi/kjc.html> written
in Java. And the super fast Jikes written in C++
<http://www10.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jikes/>.

We have Kaffe <http://www.kaffe.org/> (which comes with a big class library)
and Japhar <http://www.japhar.org/>

>  * Compiler (to native executable)
GCC, the Gnu Compiler Collection comes with GCJ, the Gnu Compiler for Java

>  * Debugger (jdb equiv)
None that I know of

>  * appletviewer tool
I believe Kaffe comes with one

FastJar <http://fastjar.sourceforge.net/> which is indeed very fast!

>  * javadoc tool
None that I know of.

Most of the Standard classes for Java 1.2 (except Swing and RMI) are
implemented by the ClassPath project <http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/>.
Most of the RMI classes are implemented by NinjaRMI
<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/ninja/ninjarmi.html>

And there is a free testsuite Mauve <http://sourceware.cygnus.com/mauve/>
to test if those tools are 'compliant'.

So we are almost there. Now start implementing that debugger, the Swing
classes and a Javadoc tool and we are done :)

Cheers,

Mark