fyi/Java Standards and copyright issues

http://www.crn.com/dailies/digest/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=11586

Quote:
  Sun can either grant ECMA the right to use
  its copyrighted materials to craft its
  standard, let ECMA form standards on the
  basis of submissions from other committee
  members, or disband the committee and halt the process entirely.

I am guessing here, but I suspect that this second halt in the "Sun Goes ISO"
process is due to Sun's desire to own the standard in terms of Intellectual
Property (a concept excessively dangerous to open source), while the ECMA idea
of standards does not include such notion.

                                                            b.

--

"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure,
  and we are born to it."      Thomas Harris, Silence of the Lambs