Re: kaffe status update

On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 05:11:20PM -0800, Tim Wilkinson wrote:
> Do you really think 1.0.5 is less stable than 1.0b4?  1.0.5 contains lots
> of new stuff which might be unstable - but I still think it's more stable
> over all (I can certainly run a lot more stuff with it).

The native threads stuff is, no doubt, way less stable. RMI also still
seems very spooky. So, I guess it kind of calls into question what I
mean by stable. Let me put it this way, I think that the new version
of Kaffe is _way_ more comprehensive in the sense that it provides many
new features, however I think that some of those new features have a
lot of kinks to be worked out. As a result, there are _lots_ of things
that will run that wouldn't run before but a good number of those things
fail in new, subtle or unpredictable ways. So, if you were used to
beta 2 and beta 3, beta 4 seemed to neaten things up more than add new
features. Beta 5, however, adds a lot of signficant new features and,
therefore, bugs.

I still want to go with b5 because it gives us a real chance at attacking
a truly Open Source implementation of EJB sometime in the very near
future, and I think that would be a real win for Debian.

Ean Schuessler                   An oderless programmer work-a-like
Novare International Inc.                     Silent and motionless
*** WARNING: This signature may contain jokes.