CLASSPATH settings for JDBC

Hello,

I tried to get database access via freetds_jdbc.  The installation
process seemed to be successful.  By default the necessary files
are installed in /usr/local/share/LocalJava.  To let the example
work I have to set the CLASSPATH variable correctly.

Now I've read in /usr/doc/jdk1.1/README.linux.gz:
> That's it!  No CLASSPATH, no JAVA_HOME, or other environment variables to set
> to get the basic system running.  It can be installed anywhere on your
> machine, and it figures out whatever information it needs about where it was
> installed automatically when it runs.

Fine, but if I set the new CLASSPATH variable to get the example
working like:

CLASSPATH=.:/usr/local/share/LocalJava

The basic Java files were not found.  Off course this means I have to
set the complete CLASSPATH

CLASSPATH=.:/usr/local/share/LocalJava:/usr/lib/jdk1.1/lib/classes.zip

nut this doesn't work, too.  What is the correct way to set the
CLASSPATH right?

By the way, if I get the freetds_jdbc working I plan to build a
Debian package.  My questions are:

1) Where can I find the recent Debian Java policy for storing the
   files right?
2) I suppose that the package has to be go to contrib.  It is GPLed
   but it dependance from JDK makes avoids that it goes into main.
   Is this right?

Kind regards

      Andreas.