Kaffe and its bugs (Was: Various issues: kaffe, compilers, freeness, etc.

On Tuesday 27 July 1999, at 8 h 43, the keyboard of "Ean R . Schuessler"
<ean@novare.net> wrote:

> Firstly, I'd like to address the notion that you can't do anything
> useful without commercial Java on your system. This seems patently
> false.

At least in slink, it is impossible. In potato, we don't currently have a free compiler (gcj is not yet an official package, jikes is still 'almost free', anyone who suggests 'guavac' does not know what he is talking about). We have a free VM, kaffe. It loops endlessly on the XML parsing...

Also, since we don't have a Java policy yet, it is *very* inconvenient to use several compilers or VMs. There is not one CLASSPATH setting for everyone.