Re: Typesetting Japanese

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 09:51:51AM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Greetings,
> I am trying to print something in Japanese, but am having trouble with
> both LaTeX and OpenOffice.
> In LaTeX, I downloaded the packages specified at
> http://www.physics.wustl.edu/~alford/tex/japanese_latex.html including
> cjk-latex, hbf-kanji48, latex-cjk-japanese and
> latex-cjk-japanese-wadalab.  And I included the same \usepackage
> commands, and even used the provided templates.  And running "latex" or
> "pdflatex" with a JIS or Shift-JIS file showed the same output as on
> that page.  But latex ignored the Japanese, just treating it as a few
> broken Roman characters to lay out, e.g. throwing errors when it
> encountered an _ character.
I didn't try cjk latex for at least a decade (just joking but at least
since woody) so I can't help you there

> In OpenOffice, I can't figure out how to get a Japanese input method to
> work.  I installed openoffice.org-l10n-ja.  But how do I specify that I

this package will not work, it just enables japanese drop down in OOo
if your locale is set accordingly.

> want to input Japanese?  I set my Asian input language to Japanese, but
> can't get to it.  And View | Input Method Status does not do anything
> noticeable.  It seems that in Ubuntu, the iiimgcf package is required
> for OOo Japanese input, but there's only iiimecf in Debian, ref:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/44626
Try this:

I updated theses pages with a testing etch but it should work, or at
least gives you some clues. If it didn't work out of the box, please let
me know to update the pages.

Guillaume "LoneWolf" Estival