Re: Typesetting Japanese

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 09:51:51AM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to print something in Japanese, but am having trouble with
> both LaTeX and OpenOffice.
>
> In LaTeX, I downloaded the packages specified at
> http://www.physics.wustl.edu/~alford/tex/japanese_latex.html including
> cjk-latex, hbf-kanji48, latex-cjk-japanese and
> latex-cjk-japanese-wadalab.  And I included the same \usepackage
> commands, and even used the provided templates.  And running "latex" or
> "pdflatex" with a JIS or Shift-JIS file showed the same output as on
> that page.  But latex ignored the Japanese, just treating it as a few
> broken Roman characters to lay out, e.g. throwing errors when it
> encountered an _ character.

I didn't try cjk latex for at least a decade (just joking but at least
since woody) so I can't help you there

> In OpenOffice, I can't figure out how to get a Japanese input method to
> work.  I installed openoffice.org-l10n-ja.  But how do I specify that I

this package will not work, it just enables japanese drop down in OOo
if your locale is set accordingly.

> want to input Japanese?  I set my Asian input language to Japanese, but
> can't get to it.  And View | Input Method Status does not do anything
> noticeable.  It seems that in Ubuntu, the iiimgcf package is required
> for OOo Japanese input, but there's only iiimecf in Debian, ref:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/44626

Try this:
http://dspnet.fr/~lonewolf/LinuxJapan/

I updated theses pages with a testing etch but it should work, or at
least gives you some clues. If it didn't work out of the box, please let
me know to update the pages.

--
Guillaume "LoneWolf" Estival