Re: Typesetting Japanese

On October 21, 2007 at 9:47PM +0800,
shuntim.luk (at polyu.edu.hk) wrote:

> I don't write Japanese very often but when I have to, I use gedit
> with LC_CTYPE set to ja_JP.eucjp. (My default locale is
> en_US.utf8). I have this
> 	alias eucgedit="LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucjp gedit"
[...]
> AFAIK, ja_JP.sjis is not provided out of the box in debian.

Though `dpkg-reconfigure locales' doesn't display ja_JP.sjis as an
option by default, the character map of SHIFT_JIS is provided by
the locales package.  To use ja_JP.sjis, type the following before
setting LC_CTYPE or so:

  # echo 'ja_JP.SJIS SHIFT_JIS' >>/etc/locale.gen
  # locale-gen

--
Tatsuya Kinoshita