low spec machines

I just installed the latest iso-cds on an FMV-Biblo NE4/50C. KDE runs ok, but is slow to launch applications.

I am wondering if Xfce is localized enough so that a Japanese person could easily make use of that machine (set in an NGO office environment for non-geeks).

Since I don't do Debian installs everyday, I'd also like to know what would be the easiest way to share files with a MacIntel/OSX machine through the wireless YahooBB environment they have.

Thanks in advance for the pointers.

Jean-Christophe Helary