How to make Japanese Input on Debian testing work?

Hi,

I am using a US Debian testing distribution and
urgently need to write in Japanese (and German) using OpenOffice...

Trying desperately to solve the problem myself for three days now
by following all kind of HowTos on the net, I was not able to make it work.

I tried to use OpenOffice with scim and uim but couldn't activate the
Japanese input method in OpenOffice. Control-Space didn't work,
the context menu wouldn't have any entry for the input method and
I was not able to configure another Shortcut when I tried to do so
using the scim configuration tool.

I can write in emacs and cut and paste the result into OpenOffice
but this is an impossibly complicated way of working...

Any help?

Thanks, Dietrich