Japanese romaji input on a French keyboard

Hi Japanese developers,

In the periodic process of learning Japanese, I am trying to setup
an input manager under gnome to type my Japanese stuff in romaji,
to see the output in hiragana, and to select the corresponding kanji.

So far, I have tried uim, but it is not a very concluding
experience. Only gedit seems to work with uim, but I do not want
to use gedit. What I would like is to get the same behaviour in vim
under a gnome-terminal. Is there anyway to do that?

P.S.: Please feel free to Cc me if you reply as I am not subscribed
to that list.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.   Aurélien GÉRÔME