Re: Warnings on Japanese man pages

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 10:10:25PM +0900, kmuto@debian.org wrote:
> At 25 Jan 06 11:00:31 GMT,
> Nicolas François wrote:
> > I have another question regarding Japanese manpages.
> > The rpm.8 Japanese translation is encoded in UTF-8. I don't think it is
> > correct (man expects an page encoded in EUC-JP). Can anybody check if the
> > page is displayed correctly?
>
> Hmm, that's a problem.
> I received many warnings from rpm.8 and couldn't get correct
> resutlt.
> It's a workaround to convert rpm.8 to EUC-JP, but it's better to improve
> groff.

At this time, the encoding used by man for each language is defined in
src/encodings.c (man-db package):
{ "C",		"ISO-8859-1",	"ANSI_X3.4-1968"	}, /* English */
{ "fr",		"ISO-8859-1",	"ISO-8859-1"		}, /* French */
{ "ja",		"EUC-JP",	"EUC-JP"		}, /* Japanese */

IMO, each distribution can change the encoding used for each language
(Redhat probably switched all their man pages to UTF-8), so it's quite
normal if the Japanese translation of rpm is in UTF-8 in the source package.

For the shadow package, the upstream manpages are encoded in UTF-8 and we
recode them when the package is built.
As the rpm man page is not displayed correctly when encoded in UTF-8, I
will propose a patch to do the same in rpm.

> I'll try to ask informed people.

There has been some work on groff-utf8:
http://www.haible.de/bruno/packages-groff-utf8.html
I don't know if it has a interest for Debian.

Thanks for your time,
--
Nekral