Re: D-I Manual -- Status update

Hi,

At 7 Jan 05 13:17:55 GMT,
Frans Pop wrote:
> Using po files for translation
> ==============================
> The Russian translation is currently using po files for their translation
> of the manual. Scripts have been developed to create pot files, convert
> existing translations to po files and generate xml files from the po
> files (see the scripts directory in SVN).
> What still needs to be done is to integrate these scripts into the build
> system and to create a web page with translation statistics.
> It also has to be decided how to save the po files in the repository and
> if the translated xml files can then be removed.
>
> A requirement for switching to po files is that the translation has to be
> up-to-date (not necessarily complete) and that the structure of the
> translation has to be identical to the English version (there can be no
> extra paragraphs for instance).
>
> Please let me know if you are interested in using po files for your
> translation. If there is a lot of interest, we can maybe give this a bit
> more priority.

I talked with Japanese manual translators about this migration.
Our response is near negative side.

Main problem is we can't add annotation paragraph (as you mentioned
'there can be no extra paragraphs for instance').
Another problem is that it is hard to translate each strings without
context.

So, currently we don't have a reason to migrate po-based structure.
But of course we may follow the migration if there is a important
grounds in the future.

Thanks,
--
Kenshi Muto