Re: Japanese support in mutt / KDE and debian in general

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 08:25:00PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I use mutt as a mailreader, usually in a KDE konsole. I tried
> to google around, but I don't know what to do to enable japanese
> display support. In mozilla and konqueror, it works well, however.

I use:

export LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
export LANGUAGE=en_AU.UTF-8
export LC_MESSAGES=en_AU.UTF-8
export LC_TIME=en_AU.UTF-8
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8

as my environment, and mlterm as my terminal program. This lets me read
UTF-8 encoded Japanese but keeps error messages etc in English.

If you want to input Japanese you could also try adding
export XMODIFIERS=@im=kinput2

and installing a version of kinput2 (I'm using kinput2-canna).

Let me know if you want more information.

HTH

Bec