Re: Japanese support in mutt / KDE and debian in general

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 08:25:00PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Hello,

> 	I'm new to Japan - just arrived 10 days ago - and I start to
> receive Japanese-containing bilingual emails on work's mailing-list. I
> do not understand japanese correctly yet, but it seems to me a good
> start to display the japanese characters correctly :)

> 	I use mutt as a mailreader, usually in a KDE konsole. I tried
> to google around, but I don't know what to do to enable japanese
> display support. In mozilla and konqueror, it works well, however.

> 	Can you give me a hint, or point me document about how to
> japanize a standard Debian?

I don't know about KDE konsole, but I'm using uxterm from the
xterm package, and a UTF-8 environment, and it all pretty much
just works...

Here's my /etc/environment:
LANG=en_AU.UTF-8
And my /etc/locale.gen:
en_AU ISO-8859-1
en_AU.UTF-8 UTF-8
ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8

You'll need some fonts installed, but I have commented out
all the font options in my .Xresources, so I guess my uxterm
is picking a good enough one by default... I just grabbed all
the Japanese fonts I could see in apt-cache search.

がんばって!

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.