Problems with Japanese input and KDE

Hi all,

I have been trying hard to convince my system (KDE 3.1.3 on woody) to let me
read and write Japanese - with a good amount of success but some problems as
well.
My situation is that I use Hungarian environment (which needs a lot of special
characters, too) and I'd like to configure the Japanese one beside, not
instead of it.
First I tried set-language-env but it apparently changed my system's native
language to Japanese and I was unable to use Hungarian any more.
Now I have canna and kinput2 installed, I have the MS Arial Unicode fonts in a
directory noticed in XF86Config.
If I edit my .xinitrc the way described in the thread 'multi-language debian'
earlier in this topic I can use kmail to read and write in Japanese
(shift-space works nicely) but other apps (like kwrite, nedit) don't do the
trick. In this state I cannot use my native language (missing characters),
everything seems to slow down (application loading, button responses etc.),
and whenever I open a konsole, a warning message complaints about fonts which
cannot be found. So it is far from perfect.
I don't know if I need some additive info to add about my settings - please
let me know if any of you can help me with this matter.

Greetings,

Balazs