Re: multi-language debian

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 07:00:54PM +0200, Christian Fiedler wrote:
> --
> #!/bin/bash
> XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2" LANGUAGE=en_US LANG=jaJP.eucJP
> LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP $1 &
> --

As an alternative to mucking with LANGUAGE and LANG (and LC_*)
environment variables, kinput2 lets you chance the locales
it is active in using XResources.

I don't remember the option, and I don't have my laptop with
me, but if you look in kinput2's app-defaults file
(/etc/X11/app-defaults/kinput2) it documents it there. I
set that to en_AU, ja_JP and my LANG is en_AU.UTF-8.. This
works fine, and at the same time stops programs like gjiten
1.x from displaying a Japanese interface. (2.x lets you stop
it from mucking with the environment variables in the first
place.)

The only annoyance is I tend to trigger Shift-Space when
typing capital letters with spaces between, but I haven't
decided on a better keyboard shortcut... Next keyboard's
gonna have a dedicated charset key for sure.

And I dunno how this interacts with other input methods...
I expect you could use a Chinese XIM method as well, with
a different keyboard shortcut, but I've not tried it.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

use, duplication and distribution.