Re: {pdf,}LaTeX, Japanese and UTF-8

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 02:36:07 +1100
Paul Hampson <Paul.Hampson@anu.edu.au> wrote:

To make your example work i had to install some packages. First, i had
to install the cjk-latex, ptex-bin, ptex-base, hbf-kanji48 debian
packages. As i couldn't find the UCS package, i took the tarball from
http://www.unruh.de/DniQ/latex/unicode/ , and installed it under

Next step is to install the cyberbit.ttf font for TeX. You will have to
copy it as /usr/local/lib/texmf/fonts/truetype/cyberbit.tff . I tried to
make a symlink from the place i originally installed it
(/usr/share/fonts/truetype), but it doesn't seems to work,

Now run :
$ ttf2tfm cyberbit cyberb@Unicode@
in the directory you installed the cyberbit font. Wait a few minutes for
the tfm files to be generated, and move those .tfm files

Do not forget to run texhash as root to be sure TeX learns it has new
things to care of.

Well now, everything should work fine. But well, i still have a problem
with hbf2gf which cannot found the file kanji48.* font files which are
installed in /usr/share/font/hbf/kanji48/, as in the hbf-kanji48
package. I have to make a symlink to the current directory for hbf2gf to
find those... any idea ?
I tried to define the HBFONTS env var, but with no effects.