Re: {pdf,}LaTeX, Japanese and UTF-8

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 02:36:07 +1100
Paul Hampson <Paul.Hampson@anu.edu.au> wrote:

To make your example work i had to install some packages. First, i had
to install the cjk-latex, ptex-bin, ptex-base, hbf-kanji48 debian
packages. As i couldn't find the UCS package, i took the tarball from
http://www.unruh.de/DniQ/latex/unicode/ , and installed it under
/usr/local/lib/texmf/tex/latex/ucs/

Next step is to install the cyberbit.ttf font for TeX. You will have to
copy it as /usr/local/lib/texmf/fonts/truetype/cyberbit.tff . I tried to
make a symlink from the place i originally installed it
(/usr/share/fonts/truetype), but it doesn't seems to work,

Now run :
$ ttf2tfm cyberbit cyberb@Unicode@
in the directory you installed the cyberbit font. Wait a few minutes for
the tfm files to be generated, and move those .tfm files
to/usr/local/lib/texmf/fonts/tfm

Do not forget to run texhash as root to be sure TeX learns it has new
things to care of.

Well now, everything should work fine. But well, i still have a problem
with hbf2gf which cannot found the file kanji48.* font files which are
installed in /usr/share/font/hbf/kanji48/, as in the hbf-kanji48
package. I have to make a symlink to the current directory for hbf2gf to
find those... any idea ?
I tried to define the HBFONTS env var, but with no effects.

Julien