Re: Japanese input in an English environment

    > Hi, At Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:23:46 +0100,
    > Joss Winn wrote:

    >> Are there any documents which describe how to set this up?  I
    >> have tried using my config files from SuSE but they do not
    >> work.

    > Please install language-env package and read documents in
    > /usr/share/doc/language-env directory.  Please note that, though
    > there are an English document for Japanese environment, the
    > document assumes the users to invoke set-language-env which
    > displays messages only in Japanese.  If you feel uneasy, please
    > adduser a user to test set-language-env.  (The effect of
    > set-language-env command is limited to the home directory of the
    > user.)

    > Please note that Japanese-inputing servers for X Window System
    > requires that they are invoked in Japanese locale.  I think this
    > is not a requirement from XIM (X Input Method) protocol, but all
    > implimentations of Japanese XIM servers requires, as far as I
    > know.  Thus, if your words in the subject "English environment"
    > means English locale, you might have troubles inputting
    > Japanese.

    > There is one Japanese-inputtable software regardless of locale:
    > emacs and xemacs(-mule).

Is there any possibility of extending multilingualization to more
programs?  I would like to have everything work like emacs and allow
mixing of languages, since I'm working on being bilingual.  I would
like things under linux to work kinda like Mac OS X or Windows, with a
default language, but allow for other languages to show up, and for a
decent unified input method.

The switching locales just to input a specific language is not very
efficient, and a very localization-internationalization way of doing
things.

I know there is a lot of work to be done, and I'm interested in
helping doing it.  But I don't know exactly what's involved.  I know
it's probably going to be a big undertaking.  But I would like to try.

There are a few things that I've noticed that really need to be worked
on.  Please let me know what you think.  And if I'm just wrong.

First, the underlying framework just doesn't support m17n.  Locales
are l10n.  Sure, you can mix English and Japanese, but what if I want
to mix Japanese and Arabic?  So an underlying framework needs to be
made.  Maybe it could just be something like a UTF-8 locale that has
all the characters we need.

Second are fonts, both for console and for X.  I think for things to
really work, Linux needs some Free fonts that include as many glyphs
from as many languages as possible.

Third, would be to get all the major programs to us these fonts and
the framework.

Finally, there would need to be a unified input method for everything.
Even if this was tied either to something like XIM, or to GNOME/KDE,
it would be useful, and make things easier for all of us.

Anyways, please give me your thoughts.  If you think I'm crazy, tell
me, and maybe we can work out a compromise.  But more, point me to
were I can lean what needs to be done.

Thanks!

Marshal

    > --- Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
    > http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/ "Introduction to I18N"
    > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/

P.S.  Am reading this right now.  It's enlightening.  thanks!