Re: Japanese input in an English environment

Hi,

At Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:23:46 +0100,
Joss Winn wrote:

> Are there any documents which describe how to set this
> up?  I have tried using my config files from SuSE but they do not
> work.

Please install language-env package and read documents in
/usr/share/doc/language-env directory.  Please note that,
though there are an English document for Japanese environment,
the document assumes the users to invoke set-language-env
which displays messages only in Japanese.  If you feel uneasy,
please adduser a user to test set-language-env.  (The effect
of set-language-env command is limited to the home directory
of the user.)

Please note that Japanese-inputing servers for X Window System
requires that they are invoked in Japanese locale.  I think
this is not a requirement from XIM (X Input Method) protocol,
but all implimentations of Japanese XIM servers requires, as
far as I know.  Thus, if your words in the subject "English
environment" means English locale, you might have troubles
inputting Japanese.

There is one Japanese-inputtable software regardless of locale:
emacs and xemacs(-mule).

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/