Re: Japanese input in an English environment

Thank you, Francis and everyone else who has contributed to this
thread.

I have managed to be able to read and input Japanese in Mutt and
Vim (which is just about all the Japanese I use these days).  I can
read Japanese web pages and also use kdrill and xyaku with edict, so
I am quite happy with that.  However, my way of doing it seems a bit
messy!  Please take a look and see if you can suggest something
better.  I'd like to be able to do everything at a user level and
not alter system files like Xsession.  In SuSE, I had a .xinitrc
file  which sourced a .xim file, neither of which come with Debian by
default and are both ignored if I add them. I've tried thinking of
ways to source them but failed miserably

Also, I don't think the .bash_profile entry is necessary.

Here's what I have had to add to get it:

#.Xresources
!!! Kinput2
*inputMethod: kinput2
Kinput2*CcCannaserver.cdef: cdef.kinput2-canna
!!!
*kterm*openIm: on
*kterm*ScrollBar: true

#/etc/X11/Xsession
# execute kinpu2-canna
LANG=ja_JP.EUC-JP LC_ALL=ja_JP.EUC-JP kinput2-canna -xim -kinput
-canna &

#.bashrc
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.EUC-JP
export LC_CTYPE