Re: japanese environment problems

Le Sat, Apr 28, 2001 a 01:27:18PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA a ecrit:
> Hi,
>
> At Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:35:28 +0900,
> JC Helary <helary@niji.or.jp> wrote:
>
> > i recently decided to do my best at setting up a japanese environment for my
> > debian console. i work with debian 2.1 (the 2cd set published a while ago in
> > linux japan).
>
> Please tell me which version of user-ja you are using.  And, please
> tell me which shell you are using.  (user-ja supports bash and tcsh
> only.  No support for zsh and so on.)

i tried to read the man page under kon but it comes with a huge number of
mojibake. the only thing that reads well enough is the date : 1998/10/26. i
use bash.

> > as a mutt user i find it painful to read the few japanese mails i get through
> > the [mail] command under kon, is there a way out of this ? plus [mail] does not
> > seem to accept ^o or ^\ as japanese input method toggling. am i wrong
> > somewhere ?
>
> In general, inputing Japanese under non-X environment is difficult.
> There are no generic way.  (Thus you need canna-supported vi.)
> (One generic way is to use skkfep package but it doesn't support canna.)
> Sorry I don't use mutt and I don't understand how to input Japanese
> for mutt.

i have installed canna and canna supporting nvi. as root nvi works all right,
as user, nvi does not accept the input toggle method that works under root
(once you have nvi running, type ^o and nvi shifts to japanese input mode).
it says ^o is not a vi command (if you type in command mode) or it just types
^o on the screen without toggling anything... :-(

the .nexrc in root directory and in user directory have the same info (except
that i added manually 'set cannakey=^o' for user.

> > mutt and lynx seem to have the same problem : i had lynx before, i shifted to
> > lynx-ja, but under kon all the accentuated french turns into mojibake... i
> > did not install mutt-ja (?) for fear of what would happen to my french mails
> > :-) do i have to constantly shift in and out of kon to get something out of
> > both applications ? are there smarter applications that respect the text
> > encoding on the debian market or did i miss something in the configuration ?
>
> You may want to study about character encoding and then you will
> understand displaying both French (accented alphabets) and Japanese
> is impossible unless using ISO-2022 or UTF-8.

i understand this problem. i was just wondering whether it was possible to
properly configure lynx ox mutt so that they understand what character set to
display according to the document char-set. my problem is that i do not
understand the problems associated with displaying a non-ascii character on
the console so i don't know why mutt and lynx need -ja versions to work
properly.

for ex, on my mac (under os 8.1 ja) i can read french on the web or french
emails. so the display is independant on the environment. why can't it be so
under kon/mutt or kon/lynx or kon/ee ?

> You can use jfbterm instead of kon.  It is an ISO-2022-based
> internationalized terminal like kon using frame buffer of Linux
> kernel 2.2.  You can use emacs (version 20 or after) and have
>
>   (set-terminal-coding-system 'iso-2022-7bit)
>
> in your ~/.emacs file.  Then please use a mailer on emacs which
> understands "content-type: text/plain; charset=????" line.  You
> will also have to configure jfbterm to use both JIS-X-0208 and
> ISO-8859-1 X fonts.
>
> I don't know about UTF-8-based internationalized terminal which
> support Japanese.  (You know, unicode_start in console-tools
> package doesn't support Japanese.)

why ?

so, basically, you say that i should dump lynx and mutt and use emacs,
properly configured, to do anything... :-( i suppose if i can't find another
solution that is what i will have to do. but is am not such an extensive user
that i need emacs. most of my editing is simple and ee is fine. emacs seems
way too big for me !

i suppose internationalization of console programmes is a little outdate
topic, plus i am not a programmer so there are many things i do not
understand but if possible i would like a few hints or explanations.

thank you

jean-christophe helary