Re: japanese environment problems

Hi,

At Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:35:28 +0900,
JC Helary <helary@niji.or.jp> wrote:

> i recently decided to do my best at setting up a japanese environment for my
> debian console. i work with debian 2.1 (the 2cd set published a while ago in
> linux japan).

Please tell me which version of user-ja you are using.  And, please
tell me which shell you are using.  (user-ja supports bash and tcsh
only.  No support for zsh and so on.)

> as a mutt user i find it painful to read the few japanese mails i get through
> the [mail] command under kon, is there a way out of this ? plus [mail] does not
> seem to accept ^o or ^\ as japanese input method toggling. am i wrong
> somewhere ?

In general, inputing Japanese under non-X environment is difficult.
There are no generic way.  (Thus you need canna-supported vi.)
(One generic way is to use skkfep package but it doesn't support canna.)
Sorry I don't use mutt and I don't understand how to input Japanese
for mutt.

> mutt and lynx seem to have the same problem : i had lynx before, i shifted to
> lynx-ja, but under kon all the accentuated french turns into mojibake... i
> did not install mutt-ja (?) for fear of what would happen to my french mails
> :-) do i have to constantly shift in and out of kon to get something out of
> both applications ? are there smarter applications that respect the text
> encoding on the debian market or did i miss something in the configuration ?

You may want to study about character encoding and then you will
understand displaying both French (accented alphabets) and Japanese
is impossible unless using ISO-2022 or UTF-8.

You can use jfbterm instead of kon.  It is an ISO-2022-based
internationalized terminal like kon using frame buffer of Linux
kernel 2.2.  You can use emacs (version 20 or after) and have

  (set-terminal-coding-system 'iso-2022-7bit)

in your ~/.emacs file.  Then please use a mailer on emacs which
understands "content-type: text/plain; charset=????" line.  You
will also have to configure jfbterm to use both JIS-X-0208 and
ISO-8859-1 X fonts.

I don't know about UTF-8-based internationalized terminal which
support Japanese.  (You know, unicode_start in console-tools
package doesn't support Japanese.)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/