Jgroff cannot display iso-latin characters

Hi,
On Debian 2.2r3 (stable tree), man pages with iso-latin characters are
not displayed correctly if the japanese packages, including jgroff, are
installed.
For example, the man page "man latin1" does not show any of the latin1
characters in the character list. Foreign man pages (e.g., in French,
German, etc.) are not shown correctly, if jgroff is used.
Every time a latin1 character should be shown, it is suppressed,
together with the subsequent character. E.g., "l'étranger" becomes
"l'ranger".
Other characters, such as ASCII characters, are shown correctly. It
would be good if jgroff supported iso characters as well.

Since I have not subscribed to that list, please CC any response to me,
if needed.
--
Regards,
Cyrille Artho - http://artho.com/ - Tel. +41 - [0]1 - 632 09 88