Re: Request for jgroff help

On Thu, 24 May 2001 at 22:59:42 +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Colin Watson <cjw44@flatline.org.uk> immo vero scripsit
> > I haven't decided yet how this is going to interact with my new
> > packaging (see bug #53225). The programs in groff-base will be compiled
> > with Japanese support, but since the Japanese fonts etc. are very large
> > I doubt they'll go in the base system package. Depending on what
> > fraction of the groff package they turn out to be, they'll either go in
> > groff or in a separate groff-ja plug-in package.
>
> Whatever it is, if someone remotely logs in via terminal, and tries to
> view a Japanese-language manpage, the machine will not
> need any Japanese font. The client would need one, but
> the server just dumps series of characters.
>
> So Japanese support doesn't directly mean it will be big.

I'm thinking here of the "fonts" used by groff used to decide what to
output to the viewing device (e.g. /usr/share/groff/font/devnippon/*)
rather than display fonts. The groff fonts are needed on the machine
where the document is being formatted.

The Japanese ones come to over 2Mb, hence my concern about groff-base in
the base system, but indeed the size of the groff package isn't so
important so they can probably go there.