Re: Encoding for Mail and News?

Hi.

In <[🔎] 20001021.104304.74757735.gcwen@a5.shes.net>,
  on Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:43:04 +0900 (JST),
    on Re: Encoding for Mail and News?,
 gcwen@a5.shes.net wrote:

> matthies> My question is, what is really used in practice, and where can I find
> matthies> evidence that using something else would be a bad idea?
>
> iso-2022-jp definitely.

Surely yes.

> Shift-JIS is specific for Windows and Mac while EUC is specific
> for UNIX/Linux. Shift-JIS and EUC are not recommended for email
> and news even though some mailers can handle them.
> Please refer to RFC822 and RFC1036 in detail.

There is fj.* newsgroups in Japan, and the most of the articles
are encoded in iso-2022-jp.  Many people blame you if you send
an euc-jp or shift-jis encoded article on those groups.

I don't know much about other newsgroups (tnn.*, japan.*) in Japan,
but I think that they are same in this point.

There may be some special case where inside of some specific organizations
there used are mails encoded in shift-jis, but it is required to use
iso-2022-jp to encode Japanese mails when they send their mails outside of
their local network.

Regards.
--
  Taketoshi Sano: <kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>