Re: setting up japanese postscript output (fwd)

Hi,
On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Fumitoshi UKAI wrote:

> I'll forward it to debian-japanese@lists.debian.org, in which
> we discuss Japanese releated topics in Debian, mainly in English.
> Of course, you may use Japanese in this list:)
Thanks! I prefer to use english ;-)

> We, Debian JP Project, provides some mailing-lists discussed in Japanese.
> You can see these at http://www.debian.or.jp/Lists-Archives/
I found those, had problems with the -ctl address because I was not
subscribed? Anyway, that list seems to be in japanese mostly...

> > Two problems remain:
> > How do I print postscript files with japanese fonts?
solved that myself, I installed gs-aladdin-vflib and its working now.

> > How to type kanji?
> > I have found three kinput debs. Are these the debs to input kanji? Which
> > one?
>
> As you wish:)
>  kinput2-wnn	- use Wnn as Kana Kanji conversion backend
>  kinput2-canna	- use Canna as Kana Kanji conversion backend
>  kinput2-wnn-canna - use both Wnn/Canna as Kana Kanji conversion backend
>
> > How to use it? Can I uses it with a normal german keyboard?
>
> Yes, we usually use US ASCII keyboard to input Japanese characters.
maybe we will try that next week.

> > Our guest has brought a japanese notebook, there are some extra keys, he can
> > use them from windows, maybe he can type just as normal when he logs in from
> > there to the debian machine?
>
> I think he can do it.
Good!

I think you all did an excellent job with debian-jp, he was impressed how
fast it was possible to display kanji and even receive and display his email
from his home account. Now he can print it, when hes able to type it with
linux, it would be excellent. At least I was allowed to remove SuSE Linux
from another PC and setup the next Debian system here :-)

Ciao,
Christian.