Re: setting up japanese postscript output (fwd)

Hi,

At Thu, 9 Sep 1999 12:16:32 +0200 (CEST),
Christian T. Steigies <cts@debian.org> wrote:

> I have some problems with debian-jp. Also I can not write to a debian-jp
> mailing list, I can not read kanji... Your was the first email I found of a
> japanese debian person, could you please forward my mail to the right list?
> And maybe tell me the address of that list? Or even help me solve my
> problem? The most urgent problem right now is how to print postscript
> documents containing kanji or other japanese characters.

I'll forward it to debian-japanese@lists.debian.org, in which
we discuss Japanese releated topics in Debian, mainly in English.
Of course, you may use Japanese in this list:)

We, Debian JP Project, provides some mailing-lists discussed in Japanese.
You can see these at http://www.debian.or.jp/Lists-Archives/

> Thanks,
> Christian.

> I am trying to add japanese support on a debian/slink machine for a japanese
> guest scientist. I have suceeded (with packages from debian-jp) to install
> fonts, netscape, gs-jp, kterm which allows displaying, reading japanese
> text, display the debian-jp website correctly. Even gs-jp (seems) to display
> the text correctly.
>
> Two problems remain:
> How do I print postscript files with japanese fonts?
> Files wich are displayed perfectly ghostview, gs and gv (loading kanji
> fonts) give me this error message when I print them (from gv, with lpr):
>
> Sep  9 11:03:53 ap031 lpd[1599]: lp: filter 'f' terminated (termsig=13)
> Sep  9 11:03:53 ap031 lpd[1599]: lp: job could not be printed
>
> Do I need some fontdata files?

I don't know much about this.  Maybe magicfilter help you.

> How to type kanji?
> I have found three kinput debs. Are these the debs to input kanji? Which
> one?

As you wish:)
 kinput2-wnn	- use Wnn as Kana Kanji conversion backend
 kinput2-canna	- use Canna as Kana Kanji conversion backend
 kinput2-wnn-canna - use both Wnn/Canna as Kana Kanji conversion backend

> How to use it? Can I uses it with a normal german keyboard?

Yes, we usually use US ASCII keyboard to input Japanese characters.

> Our guest has brought a japanese notebook, there are some extra keys, he can
> use them from windows, maybe he can type just as normal when he logs in from
> there to the debian machine?

I think he can do it.

> Please CC me and reply in english.
>
> Thanks,