Re: sasl spam?

1. limit the output throughput

1.1 If you use postfix, the package postfix-policyd can provide sender throttling

It uses its own database:

INSERT INTO throttle \
 (_from,_count_max,_quota_max,_time_limit,_mail_size,_date,_priority)
 VALUES (<sender>,
          50,                # maximum messages per time unit
          250000000,         # size in bytes (250 megs) (maximum is
2gig)
          86400,             # time unit in seconds (1 day)
          10240000,          # maximum message size (10 meg)
          UNIX_TIMESTAMP(),  # current time
          <priority>);

<sender> can be
- "user@domain.com"
- "@domain.com"
- "192.168.0.1"
- "192.168.0.%"
- SASL username

So you can estimate the normal acceptable output rate and set a limit
per domain.

1.2 postfix transports

Estimate normal volume to gmail, yahoo, hotmail, ...

Configure max volume for the destination domains going to blacklist you.
Use destination_recipient_limit, initial_destination_concurrency,
destination_rate_delay, ... postfix configuration directives

2. Early alert

Automatic report of mail.log every 1/2 hour or so counting # of emails sent by
envelope sender and domain sender looking for high volumes