Re: Reinstall packages from /var/backups/dpkg.status file

On Tue, 15 May 2012 11:55:53 +0200, emmanuel.kasper@openforce.com said:

> ( I know about dpkg --get-selection and friends, but since
> /var/backups/dpkg.status  is already there in the right place, I'd
> rather use that on )

dpkg --get-selections is the right tool for this. It is trivial to run
that command, with redirected output to a file, prior to your backups (or
simply from /etc/cron.daily if you prefer). Saying that dpkg.status is
already there is a bit like saying every package has an entry
in /usr/share/doc, so I want to use that. It's not designed to reinstall
all packages; dpkg --get-selections is designed for that.

tl;dr: Use the right tool for the job.
--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?