Reinstall packages from /var/backups/dpkg.status file

Hi

What should be the proper way to install all packages mentionned in
/var/backups/dpkg.status ?

I do backup externally  /var/backups on my servers, but I don't backup
the whole /

This would allow to a system restore by installing a minimal debian
system and playing the /var/backups/dpkg.status file from a backup.

( I know about dpkg --get-selection and friends, but since
/var/backups/dpkg.status  is already there in the right place, I'd
rather use that on )

Greets

Manu