Re: RAID config for mailboxes host

On 09/10/2011 05:52 AM, Emmanuel Halbwachs wrote:
> Side note: We are considering dovecot.

You are considering dovecot instead of what? If the other option was
Courier, don't consider, just do it. Courier is a dog, and Dovecot is
100 times faster (really 100 times, no jokes...).

As for your RAID, I would advice against having so many HDD on a RAID
array. It just increases the odds to have issues. If you go for the 12
disks on a RAID6, then do 2x a RAID6 array of 6 disks, and use LVM to
make it be seen as a single array (if you need to do that). This is
statistically a safer option, plus LVM will add striping, which will
make it faster (let me know if I'm wrong here, but I remember this is
what happens...).

Anyway, I think that 1500 mailboxes is really a low volume, and I don't
think you need that much of hardware! :)

Thomas