Re: [OT] NIC 1000Base-SX needed

On Mon, 16 May 2011, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > I've never seen anyone bother with CWDM (dual-color: TX and RX in the same
> > fiber) in 1000Base-SX, but it is possible.
>
> OK, it seem to be CWDM.

What is the connector?  You should never assume something is CWDM, a CWDM
link (two sets of optics, one type A, the other type B) costs nearly 3x a
normal solution with two sets of the same normal optics, and requires you to
keep track of who needs type A, and who needs type B.

It is never used 'in a whim' by anyone, least of all 3COM.  That's why it is
so rare for 1000Base-SX.

My guess is that you have MTRJ or something else like that, which looks like
a single connector, but it has two optical paths.

> > Don't use 1000Base-SX over single-mode fiber. *Really*.
>
> The problem with the Equipment is that in January  I  have  gotten  four
> 19/42U rackmounts with 130 IBM eServer x335 where each unit has  a  3Com
> Switch 4400 (it is a  10/100 Mbit  Switch)  with  a  1000Base-SX  Module
> connected to a CISCO 7600 which I do not  want  to  use  for  this  test
> configuration

Then get MM fiber.  Don't use SX over single-mode fiber.  Not only you'll
need mode-conditioning patch cords which are *expensive*, it is a very bad
idea and will not always work well.

> I have tried to get the 1000Base-T Modules for the switches which  would
> solv ANY problems (the Server has already one 4 port Intel PRO 1000...),
> but the 1000Base-T Modules are quiet expensive even on eBay...

SFP modules are always somewhat expensive, unless they're crap, or used (and
then you risk them being near their end-of-life).

> > I *heavily* recommend that you find a NIC based on the Intel 82576,
> > *especially* if any virtual machines are involved and the box they will be
> > running on is not old crap (i.e. it has MSI-X and SRIOV-capable PCIe
> > bridges).
>
> Ehm, you mean the Intel Pro 1000/something?

No.  I mean an Intel Gigabit EF  NIC.  i82576 chipset, with two 1000Base-SX
ports using LC connectors.  Each LC port has TWO connectors, one for TX, one
for RX.  Should be used with good quality MM fiber.

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/prodbrief/320116.pdf
http://www.intel.com/Products/Server/Adapters/Gb-EF-Dual-Port/Gb-EF-Dual-Port-overview.htm

The Intel PRO/1000 can't handle nearly as much traffic (and PPS) as the
newer NICs, as they won't scale to more cores nearly as well.  And SR-IOV
does wonders when you have VMs and a box that can support it.

If you don't care much about NIC/VM performance, I suppose the MF NIC you
found would do the job just fine, though.

  Henrique Holschuh