Re: [OT] NIC 1000Base-SX needed

Hello Henrique,

> On Mon, 16 May 2011, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > I have to test a real bunch of servers, but unfortunately  the  Switches
> > are equiped with 1000Base-SX (Singel Fiber) ports.
>
> 1000Base-SX is almost always connected through a pair of MM (multi-mode)
> fibers, one for TX, one for RX.  Dual-cords have both fibers in the same
> "cable", but there will be two fibers.

Hmm, on the back of the switches I have only one hole in the Module.

But the NICs I habe seen have two and the SX-Connecor is doule-sized

So, I am little bit puzzeling here...

> I've never seen anyone bother with CWDM (dual-color: TX and RX in the same
> fiber) in 1000Base-SX, but it is possible.

OK, it seem to be CWDM.

> Don't use 1000Base-SX over single-mode fiber. *Really*.

The problem with the Equipment is that in January  I  have  gotten  four
19/42U rackmounts with 130 IBM eServer x335 where each unit has  a  3Com
Switch 4400 (it is a  10/100 Mbit  Switch)  with  a  1000Base-SX  Module
connected to a CISCO 7600 which I do not  want  to  use  for  this  test
configuration

I like to use one if my x345 ar Linux-Router and looking  for  supported
NICs to connect the Switches directly to the x345.

> > Can someone recommend me a PCI/PCI-X Network Adapter 1000Base-TX which I
> > can get inexpensive from eBay  :-/  please?
>
> Get a 1000-Base-SX NIC, not a TX one.  Otherwise, how will you connect it to
> the switch?  Don't use SX-TX adaptors, they're crap and break easily.

Oops... I mean SX...

I have tried to get the 1000Base-T Modules for the switches which  would
solv ANY problems (the Server has already one 4 port Intel PRO 1000...),
but the 1000Base-T Modules are quiet expensive even on eBay...

> SFP-based NICs will likely be far more expensive when you add the SFP optics
> (but much better maintenance-wise, as you just need to replace the optics
> when they burn out after 3-6 years of service).

I need currently only an inexpensive solution and connecting the  router
to one of the 100Base-TX Ports is no option because I need  for  testing
at least 1 Gbit (my 4924 24port Gbit Switch runns fast as the heaven)

> I *heavily* recommend that you find a NIC based on the Intel 82576,
> *especially* if any virtual machines are involved and the box they will be
> running on is not old crap (i.e. it has MSI-X and SRIOV-capable PCIe
> bridges).

Ehm, you mean the Intel Pro 1000/something?

I have them in 1000Base-T with 1, 2 and 4 ports, and seen onle this one
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150427582122

which is not a CWDM card.  Same for the Broadcom NetXtreme II.

> You really should have bought something else that had 1000-TX ports, though.

I know, but the Switches where already in the Racks...

> Next time, get an Extreme, Juniper, Cisco, Enterasys, Force10 or other good
> L2/L3 1000BaseTX switch should you not find your preferred HP/3COM switches
> (which are just average stuff anyway).  IMHO, one would do better to spend
> extra $$$ in a switch with much better functionality and support, than sink
> it in opticial cabling and NICs that were not required in the first place.

My previously bought (new) 3Com 3C17701 (4924) has 24 ports  10/100/1000
plus a 4port 1000Base-T module are working perfectly but currently I  do
not like to buy something which is not realy neccesary...

If the test are working fine, the Final installation will have only GBit
Switches, but for now it is not realy neccesary.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France EURL       itsystems@tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack            Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz                 Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France           77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil         Tel: +49-177-9351947  mobil
                                  Tel: +49-176-86004575 office

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>  <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/>         <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de