Re: Reducing apache2 config files.

Marek Podmaka wrote:
> I am using the same for several years, also few hundred domains per
> server. All vhosts of one domain are in one config file. I don't see
> any performance penalty and it has ability to slightly customize
> vhosts for some customers if needed. Files are generated by a script
> once per 15 minutes and apache is reload if something have been
> changed.

I second this. We have some servers with hundreds of vhosts (close to
1000 in fact), and there's no issue. The only thing is that you have to add:

export APACHE_ULIMIT_MAX_FILES="ulimit -n 8192"

in /etc/apache2/envvars, and that apache is testing for all folders
existence before starting which can be slow. I'd like to remove that
feature, as this is as well the reason why apache fails to start
sometimes (we run a script to mkdir -p all folders before restarting
after the sunday's logrotate, but it's not best option, IMHO).

Another thing that I have notice when we were using sarge, is that each
new vhost will "consume" about 1MB of RAM. I'm not sure what is the
current situation, but it's anyway not really an issue when you can run
servers with dozens of GB.

Thomas